Archive for the ‘Apple Distinguished School’ Category
Mid February, staff and students received a surprise in the form of an assembly during the last period of the day. When everyone had taken their seats, it was announced that BCLUW High School was named an Apple Distinguished School. BCLUW is one out of 56 schools across the nation to receive this award.
Tony Gunter, an Apple Executive, presented the award citing all of the evidence that makes BCLUW a worthy choice.
The following is a brief description of the award and qualifications needed to be named:Schools nominated by Apple for designation as an Apple Distinguished School must demonstrate Apple’s highest vision of a successful 21st century learning environment, a strong relationship with Apple, and a willingness to do outreach activities. The specific manifestations of these qualities include:
- School demonstrates “best practice” qualities of 21st century learning environment;
- Visionary leadership;
- An infrastructure (IT) that supports a blended learning environment;
- Engaging teaching and learning methods that capitalize on the qualities of today’s students who are mobile, collaborative and creative;
- One-to-one access to portable computers and/or mobile access devices (iPod or iPad) for all teachers and students;
- Evidence of ongoing professional development;
- A systematic approach and ongoing process for evaluation and assessment of results for education improvement and sustainability.